top of page

ALBERT SQUARE.

 

This is as interesting a spot as any in the parish, but it is rarely now called by this name, no doubt on account of its contiguity with Low Street. In days gone by some of the most fascinating, entertaining, highly amusing, and delightful scenes (deplorable ones, too) have been witnessed here, and to have seen the celebration of the annual carnival in honour of the patron saint of our old Parish Church within its prescincts this year would essentially take the minds of our older inhabitants back to the days of their youth! For was it not close by where Ovid Cope's "Cranky Horses" used to be placed, and which provided infinitely more fun to the juveniles in pushing them round to earn a ride than there is in the gilded cars and steam-horses of to-day! The Village Stocks once stood here with, no doubt, its sad sights, but with the Idle running in front of them quite a scene of Old English rural life was presented. The most noteworthy building which formerly stood here was the draper's shop, with residence, occupied for 50 years by the late Mr. W. Bonser—a more righteous soul than whom never lived. He took an active interest in the well-being of the parish as regards its spiritual, moral, and commercial aspects were concerned, and was one of the most highly-respected gentlemen then in the parish. De mortuis nil nisi bonum. No one can do any other than speak in the highest terms of the late Mr. W. Bonser. Chief amongst his domestic duties was the imparting to his offspring a sound and fundamental education, with the result that his sons Edward, Harold, George Gershom, and Arthur Howard have each been able to take up positions on our local governing bodies and discharge the duties thus devolved with conspicuous ability. The buildings of the Nottingham and Notts. Bank and Mr. S. J. Flood's now rear their tall, proud masonry on the old site, and they may be ranked amongst the best of the business establishments in the town. Where Messrs Crompton and Evans' Bank (which had its beginning in Sutton in 1873 on the premises of the Town Hall) now is was the late Mr. W. Buckland's chemistry business, latterly conducted by Mr. S. Peat there. A stackyard, with its accompanying utensils, and which was attached to the Robin Hood, at one time kept by the late Mr. M. Heathcote. used to be in the place of the Police Station, which was erected in 1861. The Denman's Head Hotel has also undergone several structural alterations from time to time. To revert to the late Mr. Bonser's premises, it may be added that Mr. George Jephson (brother of Dr. Jephson, of Leamington), resided there before Mr. Bonser, and before him Mr. Dodson, and his predecessor was Mr. Reason, at that time the property being occupied as two residences. The property was originally built as a warehouse, but when and by whom we do not know. The old brook ran in front of the end of the house, and years after on sunny afternoons lame Tommy (who had to proceed on his hands and knees, both protected by leather) might have been seen taking the air.

ALBERT SQU TEXT
bottom of page