top of page
mod 2

 

St. MODWEN'S MISSION.

 

This Mission was opened by the then Vicar, the Rev. F. Brodhurst, opening a Sunday School in the Hardwick Street Infant Council School under the superintendence of Mr. C. B. Beecroft in the early part of 1879. The Vicar next commenced Sunday evening services in the same room at 8-30 p.m., under the charge of the Rev. F. T. Marsh, Curate. On September 15th, 1881, Mr. Marsh having acquired the tenancy of the Ebenezer Meeting House in Hardwick Street, repaired it, built a Vestry, and fitted it up as a Mission Church. On September loth, 1881, this Mission Church was dedicated and licenced by the Bishop for Divine Worship, and the Mission dedicated in honour of Saint Modwenna, Abbess of Burton-on-Trent. The services of dedication consisted of a Celebration of the Holy Communion at 7 a.m., when there were 10 Communicants, and Evensong at 7-30 p.m., when the preacher was the Rev. J. C. Massey, Rector of South Normanton. At first the services in this Church consisted only of a Celebration on Great Festivals and a Sunday service at 8-30 p.m., and a service on Thursday evenings at S p.m. The Sacrament ofHoly Baptism was also administered. In June, 1883, a Monthly Celebration of Holy Communion was established. In August, 1883, Mr. Marsh took a small house in Station Street where Mothers' Meetings, Men's Institute, Guild Meetings, etc., were held. In 1885, it became apparent that if S. Modwen's Mission was to grow, it must have a Curate of its own. Mr. Marsh, therefore, resigned his connection with the Parish Church and took up the Curacy of S. Modwen's, where he commenced weekly and Saints'-day Celebrations and daily Mattins and Evensong; the weekly Celebrations consisting of an Early one Plain, and a Mid-day one Choral, and the Evening Service was now moved to 6-30 p.m., Mr. A. H. Bonser and J. H. Branston being appointed us the first Churchwardens. In 1886, it was found advisable to increase the Church accommodation, and an Iron Church in use at S. Alban's, Sneinton, being available, the Committee of S. Modwen's purchased it and brought it to Sutton, and erected it on a strip of land in Hardwick Street, adjoining the Council School. This Church was capable of seating between 300 and 400 people, and was re-erected by Messrs. Jarvis &Sons, all the furniture, including the Altar, the Screen, and the Bell being transferred from the old Mission Church to the Iron Church. When everything was ready, the Vicar was asked by the Committee to desire the Bishop to licence the Iron Church. This, however, he declined to do, and consequently the work of the Mission came to an abrupt termination, with the exception of the Sunday School and the Mothers' Meeting, which have flourished to the present time. The Church then passed by purchase from the Committee to the Rev. F. T. Marsh, who retained it in his possession, and kept it in repair for seven years, until the advent of the Rev. F. R. Pyper (1893) as Vicar of the parish, who gladly accepted the responsibility of re-opening the Mission, and maintaining the Church. From that time a full complement of Sunday services has been regularly held. A flourishing Guild and other Institutions have been established, and the Mission has taken deep root and is steadily growing in strength. On Sunday, October 28th, 1906, the Rev. F. J. Adams (Vicar) dedicated a new east window (in "glacier" decoration). The Rev. E. H. Perkins is now in charge, having succeeded the Rev. L. A. Pollock in 1905.

S. Modwen's Hall in High Pavement, was erected in 1901-02, the building contract being £257.
 

St Modwen’s church was consecrated in July 1937. Brick built, with concrete dressings,it stood to the east of Sutton in Ashfield town centre, on the north side of Forest Street on the B6022.The building faced south and was built on a narrow sloping piece of groundwith a rear view northwards over open space towards St Michael & All Angels Church on Outram Street. It was a daughter church of St Mary Magdalene, Sutton in Ashfield. It was licensed for baptisms, weddings and funerals.Services were discontinued on the fiftieth anniversary of its opening, and it was demolished in 1991.Particular thanks to Rita Turner for research on this entry and to Dr Christopher Brooke for photographs.

 

 

sutton-in-ashfield.jpg
sutton-in-ashfield.jpg
sutton-in-ashfield.jpg
sutton-in-ashfield.jpg
bottom of page